Friday, June 24, 2011

4 layer dessert | Tom Cruise & Psalty

 


"p.s. I'd much rather x 100 have your baby than Tom Cruise's"

I sent this text to my husband yesterday.  Don't worry it wasn't random or anything.  Jason had a dream that I was preggo with Tom Cruise's baby.  Strange, yes.  Just thought I'd share some of our every day humor.  Maybe it's not so funny, but when you spend the majority of your day gooing, talking in high-pitched tones, and making funny noises to your baby, almost anything else seems humorous.

So also, my sister sent me this picture yesterday.


I just love text messaging.  Anyways, how hilarious is this?  For those of you who don't know, this abominable, terrifying, blue creature is none other than the hymn singing, Jesus loving, Psalty the singing songbook!  Ok, so when we were little we LOVED Psalty.  We sang along to his songbook.  I can still to this day reach into the files of my memory and pull out a Psalty song.  "We're going camping now, we're on our way!" Or how about the surprisingly simple and sweet "Beautiful" song.  That was the first song I ever sang alone in church.  I was three years old.  It was in our church up north.  I was wearing this little sundress that had three layers of color; blue, teal, and pink.  My grandpa was there listening.  Special for sure. 

Although Psalty does stir up some real sweet memories, I just can't get over how completely scary this guy is.  How did we not have nightmares about him?  I guess we were just little and we got all wrapped up in the awesomeness of a giant, blue, sparkly, living, breathing hymnal.  Crazy stuff.  Sometimes I wish I could just be a kid again.  See creepy things but not be freaked out and love them despite their creepiness.  Just some thoughts. 

__________________________________________________________________________________

So these days I'm feeling a little guilty because I'm leaving tomorrow for up north.  And I'm taking Kole with me.  So my husband has to be home for a week by himself.  Of course he is sweet and SO excited for me to go.  But I feel pretty bad taking the little guy away from dad.  So Jason and I have been enjoying every moment we can get.  I know he loves this 4-layer dessert.  So I surprised him with it the other day.  Am I trying to suck up to my husband because I'm leaving?  Mabye.  But really mostly I just made it because I know he loves it.  And it's stinkin' good.  It's one of Mom Marshall's recipes. 

a ziplock bag and a rolling pin is the easiest way to crush stuff

looking kinda crummy

1st layer: a beautiful crust

2nd layer: cream cheese/cool whip mixture

3rd layer: pudding

4th layer: cool whip

So to enhance the surprise for Jason, I decorated the top of the dessert.  BAZINGA!  It's one of the funniest phrases from our new favorite TV show The Big Bang Theory.  We love Sheldon!



The recipe from Beth Marshall :)

Crust
2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs (12 crackers)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter melted
 mix crumbs and melted butter, press into a 9x13 glass pan, bake for 10-15 min at 350

2nd layer
1 cup powdered sugar
1 small tub cool whip
 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
mix all in an electric mixer, spread over cooled crust

3rd layer
 2 small packages of instant pudding (any flavor)
3 cups of milk
 beat in electric mixer and spread over 2nd layer

4th layer
small tub of cool whip, just spread it over the 3rd layer, cool overnight in the fridge or for at least 6 hours


3 comments:

  1. yumm, I made this as soon as I saw your post! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1. I'm pretty sure Pop has dressed up as Psalty...you would have to clarify that with someone else though. Maybe it was Rob Gleason? The memories are fuzzy. If it was Pop we could probably arrange a guest visit for Kole if you want :)
    #2. We have those plates! I like your style.
    #3:You're really good at spreading those layers so prettily. When I made it they were just globs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it Patti! And Kelli, we will have to find out who it was, that's so funny! Got the plates at the thrift store, so cute....I like YOUR style!

    ReplyDelete