Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cookies for Breakfast?!

 

There's something about breaking out the waffle iron that just gets me really excited.  Have I mentioned how I love breakfast?  It's just the best meal, the perfect mixture of sweet and salty.  I love spending mornings at Burnt Toast or even better, Benedict's, this cute old house turned restaurant, just across the street from us.  It actually has a tree growing up through the middle of the house and they serve all their food on Fiesta Ware dishes (my favorite!!). 

But even more than eating breakfast, I love cooking breakfast.  When I was growing up we'd spend our summers up north at the lake, and there mornings were pancake paradise!  I'd have to fight a few of my cousins for flipping rights, but when I got them I loved watching those little bubbles surface and I'd concentrate so hard on the perfect flip - not wanting to contort Mickey's ears that were poured so carefully.  When we all had our fill we'd take the leftover pancakes down to the lake and feed them to the fish.  I loved sharing my pancakes with the bluegill, but I could always be found ripping off a piece and sneaking a bite myself; just a little post breakfast snack.

My love of cooking breakfast has stayed with me throughout the years.  When Jason and I were dating we started cooking breakfast together after church on Sundays.  He'd cook the eggs while I whipped up waffles or wheat pancakes with strawberries and yogurt on top.  I think breakfast making is special because it's usually reserved for weekends, when mornings can be longer and more relaxed.  These days it feels like our old ritual of Sunday breakfast is reserved for when we're 60 and all our kids are grown and out of the house!  Anyways.....in the absence of having the energy in the morning to indulge in pancakes, eggs, or waffles, I found a reason to break out the waffle iron.

 This recipe was in my Simple and Delicious magazine and then while searching baking blogs, I found it again on the blog Oh My Sugar High.







Ingrediants

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup mini milk or semisweet chocolate chips

Combine brown and white sugar along with egg, vanilla and butter in a large bowl.  In a separate medium bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add to sugar mixture gradually, stirring after each addition.  Mix in coconut and chocolate chips.

Preheat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.  Drop cookie batter into tablespoons onto each section of the waffle iron.  Let cook for 4 min.  Remove very carefully.  I found the best way to do this was to use a fork to lift up one side of the cookie, then with a rubber spatula scoop it off the iron.  The cookies will still be soft, so you have to be careful.  If one side doesn't lift up with the fork, try another side of the cookie.  You'll get the hang of it after a while.

Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment