Monday, June 6, 2011

A Roller Coaster Weekend | Oreo Cheesecake Cookies

 

This weekend was one of those roller coaster ride weekends....and unfortunately, I'm not talking about six flags (although we do hope to go there sometime this summer).  Anyways, last Saturday I took the Illinois State Spanish Proficiency Test for the second time because I failed it on my first attempt two years ago.  It's a really hard test.  It's five hours long and when you're done your brain feels like absolute mush.  At least my brain did.  This was the low part of the weekend.

After the test we went to a potluck at our church.  It was really a goodbye party disguised as a potluck; maybe they thought the good food would cover up the sadness we all felt.  To be honest it kind of did, although my contribution surely didn't stir up any grand emotions!  I'm not even embarrassed to say I just threw two frozen pizzas in the oven, cut them into squares and plopped them on the table amongst all the other fabulous looking home cooked dishes.  Oh well, you can't win em all.  It turned out to be a relaxing and bittersweet night, catching up with friends, letting our church family love on Kole, and helping say goodbye to an amazing family we all love so much.  This was the upswing part of the weekend; not totally terrific, but getting there.

Sunday brought the BEST part of the weekend.  We headed to Wisconsin to celebrate my mom and uncle's retirement and my cousin Liz graduating from college.  It was so awesome to see family and spend the day in a completely carefree state of mind.  The things I loved about yesterday.......

  • wearing a sundress because there was SUN!
  • working on my tan
  • seeing my family hold and love my baby
  • sneaking off with my love to go on a walk through the woods :)
  • eating lots and lots of fresh vegetables and fruit
  • (ok I'm not that healthy).... I must also add to the list cake (chocolate and vanilla because I just had to try them both), cookies, and handfuls of peanut butter mnm's!
  • being encouraged by my extra brother who has failed a test more times than I have and still is not giving up!
  • watching Kole sway back and forth in his new swing
  • the humor of my aunt and cousins who stole Kole, took off his cute Cardinals onsie and replaced it with a Brewers onsie!
  • talking with my brother's girlfriend Julia and getting to know her better
  • watching my mom learn how to use her new Ipad!!
  • seeing a beautiful couple in love who can't WAIT to get married in a month, and remembering what that felt like :)
  • playing FIVE CROWNS.....it's not over til the Kings go wild!
  • changing out of my dress into comfty pj pants......ahh thanks Sarah!
  • getting my toenails painted.....thanks Kase, they look very berry good :)
  • enjoying a late night pot of coffee and great conversation with the three sets of sisters I love so much
  • soaking up the love and generosity of my family and feeling SO blessed because next weekend I get to do it all over again with my MARSHALL family who is equally loving and generous and fun!!

I'm proud to say for this gathering I did have the time to bake some cookies and they turned out so good.  Oreos and cream cheese that's all I have to say.  I found the recipe on Brown Eyed Baker.

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies


½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and well-combined.

3. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix until the ingredients are well-combined. Add the flour and mix on low until the flour is incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.

4. Place the Oreo cookie crumbs in a small bowl. Scoop the cookies into about 1½ to 2″ balls and then roll in the cookie crumbs. Place the cookie balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the tops are slightly puffed.

5. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment